Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I was safe!

Tuesday night...softball night, at least in the summers and I LOVE it. I have so much fun playing with my brother and all of his security buddies. I, however, keep forgetting that I am old!


So let me set the stage. Gorgeous June night, perfect weather for a ball game and I am gearing up to go. The game has been close through 5 innings. It was a true see saw battle, back and forth between innings. There were 2 outs and I was up to bat. I had already hit at all my at bats, but had only made it on base once. We were tied and there was some pressure to perform! I swung and sure enough made a connection. I chucked my bat and started for first base. It was going to be close. The first baseman was getting ready to catch the ball and get me out. I could see the ball being thrown and I was so close. So I pushed a little bit harder and tagged the bag. I was safe!

Unfortunately, this is what I look like at the end of the night. My amazing run to first base ended with a perpendicular ankle to my leg on the edge of the first base bag. The first baseman was shielding the bag with his body and I was trying to tag up so I slipped my foot to the edge of the base and that is when I rolled my ankle.

I couldn't put any pressure on my foot and was carried off the field. I was in so much pain. A team from the other field saw what happened and ran for a bag of ice. But the game was not over, we still needed to pull out a win! I was waiting for my brother to finish and run me up to the ER, but they were continuing to battle it out. But as I mentioned the team is all security and police that work up on campus. One of the officers was there watching the game and offered to drive his police car down to the field, throw me in the back, and drive me to the UofU ER. That was quite a seen! ...And my team pulled out the first win of the season :-D

Turns out I have severely sprained my ankle. There doesn't appear to be any torn ligaments at this point. However, I will be on crutches for the next four days and then minimal pressure after that. I will not be playing softball for at least 4 weeks. My poor old body!

6 comments:

areese said...

Claudia! I can't believe you hurt yourself playing last night. Sort of funny.. sort of sad.. ;) I hope you take it easy and let it heal!

Gus said...

DUDE!!! As long as you're safe nothing else matters...and you're a hero! I'm proud of you!

Claudia said...

Gus, I had to post your message because it was so cute. Send me more! :-D

Notme said...

Way to go! Gosh CJ, you always have to play so rough! :)

I love softball, so it was worth it in my opinon. You cant brag until you have battle wounds!

Nikki and Kevin said...

Um hello! You are 30! You are old!!! Just Kidding about the age since I am not far behind, but seriously, I am not surprised. It's totally something that I would do. Be sure to get some rest and keep your foot elevated. My ankles can totally feel your pain.

Lytton Living said...

I hate being 3-0!! I am glad you are okay. Bummer you have to sit out for a while ~ I guess Josh could use a cheerleader buddy!