Wednesday, March 05, 2008

wacky wednesday

Dr. Seuss had a birthday on Sunday and this week in Josh's class they have been celebrating Dr. Seuss. Today was no exception with "WACKY WEDNESDAY" based on the super fun book by the same title. Josh was so excited yesterday planning for how he could be wacky today...different socks and shoes, wearing his pants and shirt backwards, and what he was most excited about blue gel to make his hair super wacky.
This picture unfortunately tells the tale of the social picking order in its finest. He started to get nervous as we were ready to go out the door. The nerves continued through the drive. I kept thinking, "where did his excitement and giggles go?" We got to Bonneville and two of the kids from his class were walking in the same time as him. They were not dressed at all wacky and the one little girl said to Josh " your hair is crazy!" Josh burst into tears and hid behind me. He didn't want to go to school at all. When I got him inside there were a few more kids that weren't dressed wacky and another little boy said "you look like a rhino!" Finally, his teacher came out into the hall, looking goofy, and tried to help Josh feel better. He was having none of it. Fortunately, one other boy had crazy Mohawk hair that was bright red. Josh stopped crying and agreed to go into school for his wacky day. However, he was deflated and embarrassed.

I left Bonneville so bugged. Where do we go wrong in this society that five and six year olds are picking out who and what isn't "cool". Where are the lessons on tolerance and love for every one's differences? I am also sad that I know Josh already feels that he can't just be himself without being judged by those around him. It was definitely a WACKY day, but not the way I had imagined it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap Claudia... I had no idea. I thought Josh looked absolutely wacky!! I loved it! I am so sad that he was treated like that at school. I hope he is doing better...