Sunday, July 05, 2009

city of rocks 4th of july weekend

My 4th of July celebration was spent with my students at City of Rocks, Idaho. They were doing a climbing trip and I was able to tag along.
This is the weather we rolled into on Friday night. I was a bit worried.

However, we were lucky enough to miss most of the really bad weather and when we got up on Saturday to climb, my first attempt ever, the weather was gorgeous. We had a great day of climbing by the Twin Sisters. Another storm rolled in that afternoon and brought a great wind storm and then kept on moving.
Sunday we did a multi-pitch climb on Jackson's Thumb (the skinny rock next to the big mountain). We hiked up to the base and then started our climb. It was only my third climb ever and I am hooked!

These were the views from the top of the thumb and man were they amazing!

To finish out the "sick" experience as the weekend staff say, we had to free repel off the back side of the thumb. It was one of the most amazing wilderness experiences I have ever had. I can't wait to go again!

2 comments:

Vicki--Blog Master said...

You're such a stud to go rock climbing! Good for you...

areese said...

that looks awesome. i went climbing maybe twice and found it awesome and spooky. glad you love it!